Blessed Sacrament Parish
Pastoral Council Meeting Minutes
October 5, 2022
Attendees: Annette Clark, Dick Dolinski, Fr. Rob Howe (via Zoom), Jim Mahoney, Lyn Pajk, Jeff Paulus (via Zoom), Justin Rose, Patrick Regier, Cathy Richard, Barb Warczinsky
Excused: Jim Marinek
- Meeting began at 7:00pm
- Dick Dolinski moved and Jim Mahoney seconded the approval of the minutes of the September 7, 2022 Pastoral Council meeting as corrected. The motion carried.
Updates (Fr. Rob)
- Information will be mailed from the Diocese to parishioners next week regarding Christ’s Mission Appeal (CMA). Our new CMA target is $250,375, a 5.9% increase.
- The schedule for the Small Faith program will be rolled out in late October. Work is underway to get people informed and ready for a good start in late winter/spring next year.
Faith Formation—High School Youth Ministry Update (Justin and Lyn)
- Justin presented a handout that outlines three youth programs for the academic year as follows:
- Sunday Night Youth Ministry—Some highlights include Trunk or Treat, Gingerbread competition, Euchre Tourney and Game Night, a Talent Show, and End of Year Field Trip
- Youth 2 Youth Program—The theme is “HOME, He Opens My E” Some highlights include Witness/Faith Sharing, Discernment, Christmas Service Project, Hospitality Service, Reconciliation, concluding with a Weekend Retreat
- Outreach—Some highlights include participation in the Trunk or Treat event, Alternate Gift Fair, Pasta Dinner, Christmas Wreath Sale, Adopt a Family Shopping, Snack Pack, Pancake Breakfast, Outreach Trip.
- Lyn reported that the “Encanto” movie was attended by about 90 people and was well received. The event included several exercises including trimming a small house (analogous to church), decorating doors with symbols of our gifts, and a “magic” candle (analogous to the Pascal Candle). The collaboration among staff members was outstanding.
Finance Update (Patrick)
- The total Fund Balance through the end of August is $1.6 million, up $191,000 from the beginning of the year. The increase is largely due to $140,000 received from the federal government for the Employee Retention Tax Credit, a Federal program designed to keep employees on the payroll during COVID. This was not budgeted.
- Weekend collections are ~$5,900 ahead of budget through the end of September.
- Annette—Outreach program is great.
- Lyn—adult formation is sponsoring series on the Mass on October 18 and 25 from 7:00pm-8:30pm. It includes Bishop Ken’s teachings on the Mass. Ed Clark and Lyn will discuss the Creed and Fr. Rob on the Eucharist. Peter Sinclair will present on the environment and energy on October 27 from 7:00pm-8:30pm.
- Rob—there will be an annual incorporation meeting on October 27. Participants will be the Board of Directors including Fr. Rob, the Regional Vicar, Finance Manager, Pastoral Council Chair, and a Diocesan Representative.
- Jim—urged getting the youth activities calendars out as soon as possible to get ahead of other events.
- Cathy—it’s great to be a part of an amazing parish
- Patrick—there will be no Pastoral Council meeting in November. The next meeting will be a joint meeting with the Finance Council in December