Attendees: Annette Clark, Dick Dolinski, Fr. Rob Howe, Melissa Kato, Lyn Pajk, Patrick Regier, Cathy Richard, Barb Warczinsky
Attended via Zoom: Jeff Paulus, Jim Marinek
Excused: Jim Mahoney
- Meeting began at 7:04pm
- Cathy Richard moved and Barb Warczinsky seconded the approval of the minutes of the February 1, 2023 Pastoral Council meeting. The motion carried.
Updates (Fr. Rob)
- The arrangements for the annual parish picnic are progressing. The date is August 27. The annual golf outing will be the next day, August 28.
- The car show will be held on September 16 (the 3rd Saturday in September).
- The sidewalk project will begin the week of April 24 to repair uneven pavement adjacent to the former school wing. These repairs will address the flooding problem in that area.
- Lyn will be retiring from her role at the end of June. The job has been posted and several promising candidates have submitted resumes.
- Mike Percha is retiring at the end of May. Cleaning of the church will be carried out by the Arnold Center and Kutchey’s will be providing the lawn mowing and snow removal services.
Faith Formation—Young Adults and Family Life Updates (Melissa Kato and Lyn Pajk)
- Melissa updated the Council on the various programs for which she is responsible including the following:
- RCIA—now called the Order of Christian Initiation (OCIA). Four children, ranging in age from 8 to 11 years old, will receive their sacraments at the Easter Vigil. Corrine Cathcart and Mary Beth O’Connor assisted with the preparation sessions and a team of volunteers helped with the reception after the Easter Vigil.
There are two adults in preparation to receive sacrament of first Eucharist and Confirmation later this year.
- Baptisms—A baptism preparation class is offered monthly for parents seeking baptism for their children. 10 children have been baptized since August 2022 not counting the 4 in OCIA and 6 more coming up.
- Marriage Preparation—Couples intending to marry participate in a marriage preparation program called Prepare/Enrich. An online assessment of the couple is followed by a review and the creation of a basic outline. Typically, two to four in person meetings (or via Zoom if necessary) are held. Two couples have completed classes and a third one is pending.
- Young Adults—A Flocknotes list is sent to young adults and families. With the help of Justin Rose, a curling match was held over the Christmas break for returning college students. Eleven participants are interested in participating during the summer.
- Divorce Recovery—a non-denominational team of seven volunteers offers an 8-week program in the fall. Because we did not have sufficient interest in the program, we offered a Divorce Care evening once a month.
- Annulment Procurator—Assistance is offered to a petitioner seeking an annulment in selecting the right petition and to gather the necessary paperwork and signatures. The procurator also helps in gathering the necessary testimony, provides tribunal feedback, and discusses possible grounds for annulment. Five annulments have been completed in 2023, four others are at the tribunal, and two are being compiled.
- Lyn reported that 8 small faith groups involving 65 people were active during Lent. Seven are continuing beyond Lent and the other is looking at meeting seasonally. Continuing the momentum in encouraging small faith groups will be an important role for Lyn’s replacement
- An 8th person has shared the peace plate.
- Ann Boyd has been leading Faith Beautifully Crafted sessions. The first led to the distribution of over 80 Easter Greeting Cards to those parishioners who are alone/single. Creating inspirational boxes as well as prayer beads are the next two Faith Beautifully Crafted offerings.
- Lyn reviewed a number of events planned over the next couple of months including:
- May 4— Demetrius Titus on Mass incarceration in the US and the need for prison reform
- May 2—Laid back book club meeting
- May 10 and June 14—theology by the glass
- May 14—June 11; baby bottle collection from Mother’s to Father’s Day
- June 11—bike ride to Cottage Creamery for ice cream
- June 25—stroll through 4 gardens (1:00-4:00pm)
- Other hospitality-focused programs being considered include Around the Table ministry—food focused, e.g., reception after Easter Vigil, Talent Show Night, etc.
Finance Update (Patrick)
- Patrick reported the Parish finances through the end of the first quarter ending March 31, 2023. The balance sheet increased by $392K to a total of $2.6 million in Net Assets largely due to $140K payment from the federal COVID program, $187K bequest from the Glenn Waters Estate, and higher weekend collections.
- The Christian Service balance was reduced reflecting the payment of $125K in February. An open house was held in early March for all recipient agencies.
- Weekend collections through the end of the quarter are $124K higher than budget. Expenses were lower than budget across all categories except utilities and office supplies.
- We are at ~80% of the 2022-23 CMA target ($200K vs. $250K target). An additional $10-15K is expected by fiscal year end. The remaining shortfall is planned in the budget.
- Patrick—Audio/Visual equipment in the social hall is being updated. There also is an increased demand for hearing assistance equipment in the church which is being addressed.
- Patrick—Adjustments to the parish center heating system are planned to isolate hot water flow to the former school building from the parish center offices.
- Fr. Rob—The gate across the parking lot entrance is working well to deter speeding through the lot.
- Jeff—Police are ticketing parishioners after Mass on Sugnet. Be wary of speeding out in that direction.
- Barb—Asked if there were any plans for a church directory. It would be possible but it takes a considerable amount of work to organize the project, especially the taking of photographs. Is there anyone willing to take this on is the question?
- Annette—Described outreach efforts at Eagle Village including painting, yard work, woodwork, bird feeders, etc. There is an opportunity at Washington Woods.
- The next meeting will be held on June 7 jointly among the Finance and Pastoral Councils
The meeting was adjourned at 8:18 pm